Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Girls, Girls, Girls

My 8 year old son's distress over our family situation began when I was pregnant with our 3rd child.  After having a baby sister, who he thoroughly enjoys torturing on a regular basis, he had high hopes for a baby brother.  His number one plan was naming the baby Obi-Wan Kenobi.   We thought it would be a great experience for him to go to the sonogram and see the baby growing inside of me.  But, when the sonographer announced, "It's a girl!"  Our moment of joy quickly turned somber.  Tears filled my son's eyes.  "I can't name it Obi-Wan."  The sonogram tech comforted him with, "You could name her Princess Leia."  He didn't think that was a good idea.  
When we announced one day 3 years later that we were again having a baby, I saw that familiar sparkle in my son's eyes.  Once again he would have a chance at a baby brother.  He was sure it was a boy.  At this point, he was over his Star Wars fetish, but he couldn't wait to teach his brother all about the importance of being a boy - legos, swimming, nerf guns.  When 20 weeks gestation rolled around and it was time to get the sonogram to find out the sex of the baby, my son was so excited.  My husband and I decided that we would go alone this time.  It was a good thing because once again, my son was getting another sister.  We decided that my husband would break the news.  As I expected, there were tears.  
Although the sadness has worn off, lately I have found him saying, "Mom, you know, doctor's are wrong sometimes.  It could still be a boy."  He has already chosen a friend down the street that he plans to move in with if the situation of 3 sisters is too rough.  I think we might be in trouble because the girls always seem to be changing clothes, which results in a lot of running around naked.  My son keeps complaining about how disgusting it is around our house.  I find myself saying, "You better get used to it, there will be a lot more nakedness once your 3rd sister is here."  I'm pretty sure his bags are already packed!

No comments:

Post a Comment